Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Book Club~Commencement Part 1

I joined a book club!  I've always wanted to be in one, however this is not your typical club- it's a blogging book club.  How fun is that?  Check out the website by clicking on the button below.  It's not too late to join!

This month's book is Commencement by J. Courtney Sullivan

Here are my answers for part 1

1. Which girl do you identify the most with?
You know, I don't know that I completely identify with any one of them.  They are all much more liberal than me; I'm a pretty conservative and traditional person :)  I guess I probably identified with Celia during college and Sally post-college the most.  Celia because like her, I have a very close relationship with my family and my mom.  It was hard to leave home for college (even though I went to college in the same town I grew up in) and I remember having a lot of the same feelings she had those first few weeks.  But she didn't take herself too seriously which has always been my philosophy as well.  It seemed to me that Celia was the reason all four girls became freinds-she reached out to each of them in the first days of school and was the common thread between them all.  Did anyone else think that?  I identified with Sally post-Smith because I got married when I was 24 years old and none of my friends were even close to being engaged at the time. 

2. If you're a college student or graduate, what similarities or differences do you see between this story to your own college experience?
My college experience was totally different from this story.  I had lots of different groups of friends throughout my 4.5 years of college.  Freshman year I was friends with three of the girls that lived on my hall, but I sort of lost touch with them after that first year.  I also joined a sorority my freshman year and became close with many of my sorority sisters.  Sophomore year I moved into the sorority house along with 60 other girls.  Three of my sorority sisters are still my great friends to this day; two were bridesmaids in my wedding.  Junior year I studied abroad in Australia and met three girls from the east coast who were also studying abroad.  We became instant friends and were attached at the hip.  We had a blast, but eventually had to go back to school in the states.  I kept in touch with two of them who are still my dear friends and were also bridesmaids in my wedding.  I would have to say that my most consistent group of friends throughout college were my husband (boyfriend at the time) and his 5 roommates.  I knew my husband in high school and met his roommates my first day of college.  They became some of  my best friends and remain so today.  There were many times that I was the only girl hanging in the group of guys which is so different from the characters in this story!

3. Which girl do you think has changed the most since her time in college? In what ways has she changed?
I think all of the girls have stayed pretty true to themselves since college.  Sally changed her mind about med school and Bree grew distant from her family after telling them about her relationship with another woman.  I think Bree has probably changed the most since the first year of college because she started college engaged to a boy, and is now a lesbian?

Can't wait to hear what everyone else thinks of the book so far!








 

1 comment:

  1. I so agree with your #4. It was incredibly difficult for me to figure out who had changed the most--I guess I just saw it as a natural growth they would each have! Anyways, I'm so glad you're doing the online book club. Love your blog! :)

    ReplyDelete